This course provides fundamental knowledge about co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders. Designed for professionals and paraprofessionals working in the behavioral health field and/or with individuals with co-occurring disorders (COD), the course is comprised of nine learning modules, each covering a core competency area:
- People with Co-Occurring Disorders: Descriptions and Definitions
- Treatment and Recovery Philosophies
- Substance Use Disorders
- Overview of Mental Health Conditions and Terminology
- Principles for Integrated Treatment
- Screening and Assessment Skills and Process
- Intervention, Motivation, and Treatment Strategies
- Assessing Our Own Attitudes, Motivation, and Health
- Family, Peer, and Natural Supports
How it Works
Within each of the nine modules, each lesson offers exercises, web resources to explore, and a learning integration self-test. There are references and resources for each module, as well as an online resource list. Certificates will be issued upon completion of all module materials, including a final quiz (which must be passed with a score of at least 80%) and an evaluation.
Certificates will be issued for each module upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given. The following numbers represent the total number of contact hours provided upon completion of all nine modules.
- 14 contact hours for nurses.
CCSME Provider Unit is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Northeast Multi-State Division (NE-MSD), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Accreditation status does not imply endorsement by ANCC, NE-MSD or CCSME Provider Unit.
- 14 contact hours pending approval by the Maine Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors.
- 14 Category I contact hours for Psychologists are provided.
CCSME is a pre-approved sponsor and provider of Professional Education Activities for Psychologists.
- 14 contact hours for CHES.
CCSME is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Certificates of completion for 14 contact hours for Social Workers, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors, and other Professionals.