Reply To: Week 5 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision)

Home Forums Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision Course Forums Week 5 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision) Reply To: Week 5 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision)

CHELSEA SPEAR
Participant

A) What are some of the strategies you would employ to initiate and facilitate a discussion about the distinction between self-disclosure as a boundary crossing or boundary violation in your treatment team meeting?
-First and foremost, I would ensure that ethics and boundaries are interwoven into every team meeting (i find it helpful to put it on the weekly agenda that is always discussed) so that everyone is comfortable with discussing the concepts and there is not understandable anxiety when the topic is brought up out of the blue.
I find case studies to be a very effective tool and use role playing in this manner to show and discuss some of the differences between crossing and violations
B) Which of the supervisor roles (consultant, advisor, guide, mentor, professional colleague, educator) fits with your values and supervisory style? Which of these stances would you take in the conversation with the team and why? I would say the roles of guide and educator most closely fit with the roles I would take in this context. Guide to help move the conversation to a robust discussion on the topic and ensure that everyone leaves with some concrete tips and ideas. I am also an educator when educating everyone on the different code of ethics and how it applies here.
Exercise 2
Describe 2–3 useful ideas and/or strategies about supervision and ethics that you have learned or been reminded of over the course of the past 5 weeks that you would like to bring back to your colleagues, supervisees, supervisor, administrators, etc. How do you envision integrating these ideas into your work?
Probably the biggest reminder/ take away I am taking from this training has to do with the effects of counter transference not only for the clinicians I supervise but also for myself. As supervisors, I think we too often forget that our own counter transference issues can arise.
Another strategy that I have learned from this training is the importance of educating the other managers that I work with on the concept of vicarious responsibility and this is why clinical supervision needs to be honored as highly as client appointments.