Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Cherie Duggan
Participant

Question 1-I found it to be very useful, it was calming and actually self soothing. I enjoyed the guided audio as it helped when my mind would wander to bring my attention back to my breath. I found it was an effective way to calm my mind.
Question 2-I found my mind wandering now and again, but rather than get distracted by that distraction, I just decided not to try and change it, but to just acknowledge when the distraction happened, and guide my thoughts back to my breathing.
It is fascinating that when tasked with staying focused how quickly one can get off focus. I found it was an effective way to make me more aware of the habits of my mind.
Question 3-The counting method has more direction, and I feel my patients will respond better to that technique as they often look to the therapist for answers/direction until they are able to be more confident and aware of their own impact on change, but I feel both techniques would be useful in practice with patients. Possibly starting with the counting and breathing and moving towards introducing and practice of basic mindfulness meditation.