Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Jennifer Marx
Participant

Question 1
I listened to the guided meditation for the soft belly exercise. First I was just concentrating on my breathing and general body sensations, but after a little while I was able to feel my belly. I hold a lot of tension there, and I definitely was aware of those sensations. With the conscious awareness of it, I found that my belly did soften. I felt that this was an effective way to get right to the place where I often hold intense physical sensations.
Question 2
I listened to the guided meditation for the acceptance exercise. I felt calmer in general just listening to the prompts. When we got to the phrase about accepting myself completely, I noticed judgmental thoughts and fears coming up and a lot of physical sensations (heart racing, feeling hot in my face). After breathing in to it, I felt a distance from these physical reactions and some compassion for myself. I would rate this as effective in the moment to enhance acceptance.
Question 3
I would offer either of these mediations in the moment, with the client’s permission, to help them during a time when they are feeling especially judgmental about themselves.