Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Catherine VanDraska
Participant

I enjoyed both exercises this week. I utilize the soft belly mediations for personal use often. I find it more useful to have a focus point during these activities. I like the portion of the medication that invited participates to notice how the soft belly has room for all emotions. Both experiences allowed me to fully relax but I find it easier to stay focused for longer amounts of time in the Soft Belly mediation. I have not utilized something like the acceptance exercise but I see the possible benefits this could have for my patients. Many of the youth that I serve are not only struggling with substance use, but also a lack of motivation for change, lack of control over their lives, and low self-esteem and self-worth. This phrase of “May I accept myself completely as I am right now” could be extremely helpful.