Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Question 1
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Breath Counting Meditation? What did you notice about how your mind responded to focusing on counting your breaths? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to calm and/or stabilize your mind?

The focus on counting was very helpful in keeping my focus and became rhythmic as I went along. It was very calming.

Question 2
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Basic Mindfulness Meditation? What did you notice about how your mind wandered? What was it like to gently shift your focus of attention from your thoughts to your breath? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to make you more aware of the habits of your mind?

This one was more difficult as my mind wandered and it was difficult to bring it back at times. It was interesting to be reflecting on what my mind did or had difficulty doing.

Question 3

In your own experience, what would you say were the differences and similarities in the two meditation exercises? How would you envision integrating the Breath Counting Meditation and/or the Basic Mindfulness Meditation into your clinical work with people with substance use or mental disorders?
I think they were similar but I think beginning with the first meditation and then moving to the second and with more practice will help individuals learn to focus and avoid external or even internal responses.