Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Danielle Wilbur
Participant

Exercise 1
In how not to: Sal’s words and body language is defensive and agitated.
In how to: Sal’s words and body language is more relaxed and engaged.
Exercise 2
Example: Danielle’s Ambivalence

“I feel ambivalent about washing dishes after dinner.”
One Side of the Ambivalence
“I am tired and full and want to watch T.V, and relax before bed.”
The Other Side of the Ambivalence
“I know that the dishes will need to be washed or we will run out of clean dishes when we need them again the next day.”
Double-Sided Reflection
“Danielle, on the one hand you are tired at night and full after dinner, and it can feel like a lot of effort to wash the dishes. On the other washing the dishes give you clean dishes the next day to use and that is important to you.”
Exercise 3
target behaviors : tapping foot
yawning repeatedly in the afternoon
humming
health behaviors : drinking less caffeine
more/ better quality of sleep
balanced diet

Question 1
Sal meets confrontational with a defense position. He claims the dog is not an issue because he has had him for many years. The Spirit of MI style helps him to sort through his options and feel in control of what he will do. This feeling of being in control gives him a chance to focus on his choices and not being/feeling defensive.
Question 2
“I feel ambivalent about folding clothes once they are clean.”
“I don’t enjoy folding and it seems like I have to do it all the time.”
“I know that the clothes will wrinkle, and some may need to be washed again or ironed which means twice the work of folding.”
Double-Sided Reflection
“Danielle, on the one hand you don’t enjoy folding and it seems like a never-ending task. On the other if you don’t fold the clothes you will have twice the work to do.”

“I feel ambivalent reducing my sugar intake.”
“I love sugar and often eat it to feel happy.”
“I know that sugar is not good for me and my health is important to me.”
Double-Sided Reflection
“Danielle, on the one hand sugar is a reward you give yourself to feel happy. On the other sugar is not good for your health and your health is important to you.”

“I feel ambivalent about planning out dinners for the work week.”
“I want my family to agree on the menu and enjoy what we have for dinner and not waste a lot of my evening. ”
“I know that if I plan ahead, I don’t have to run out to the store to grab missing items and I have more time to enjoy my evening.”
Double-Sided Reflection
“Danielle, on the one hand the process of getting my families positive input on what we will have for dinner can be frustrating, On the other, trying to figure it out on the night of can lead to greater frustration and an unplanned store run on a weeknight.”
I found this exercise to be surprising and empowering. To look at a problem without judgment, just a choice to make. I could see how this could encourage change, which is often hard, even if it is a small change or in your own benefit.
Question 3
Client target behaviors: reduce smoking to 1 pack a day.
Be less confrontational.
Smoke less marijuana
My own agenda: Quit smoking with support from a stop smoking support program.
Stop smoking marijuana.
See your councilor about confrontational behavior

Describe any discrepancies between these two lists.
My client is willing to reduce smoking both marijuana and cigarettes and believes they can address their confrontational approach to anything that bothers them. I want them to plan and take action and use supports.
Describe some of your “righting reflex” responses to the consumer-generated target behaviors that do not match up with your list of target behaviors?
Putting my goals first will only create confrontation. The focus needs to be on resolving ambivalence.
Describe how you might use the MI Agenda Setting strategy described in this lesson to engage this person in a person-centered conversation about what he or she would like to discuss with you. Be specific.
As in the examples, I would reflect to the client the two sides to their ambivalence. Once the client agrees that that is what they feel I would present the double-sided reflection. This gives the client a chance to see the possibility of change as a choice for them to make.