Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Jennifer McCaslin
Participant

Question 1:
Confrontational approach: This approach by the provider was inappropriate and unprofessional. The provider did not use active listening skills when Sal was talking. Provider presented as overbearing and not open to hear what Sal was saying. This caused Sal to be defensive and at times argumentative. Provider was telling Sal what he should be doing instead of offering suggestions and encouragement. Providers tone was harsh and unsupportive. This approach was unproductive and could cause Sal not to use this provider in the future.
MI counseling approach: This conversation was much more effective. This was a two part conversation with both parties engaging appropriately and hearing each other. Body language was relaxed and tone was soft. Provider offered validation and empathy. Sal was more apt to take providers suggestions with this approach. They worked together to develop a plan on how to tackle Sal’s allergies. This resulted in Sal feeling supported.

Question 2:
Jenn’s ambivalence: I feel ambivalent about buying a home.

One side: Choosing a house is very overwhelming, I don’t have time right now to attend a home buyers course, the whole process is very anxiety inducing.

Other side: I don’t have to pay rent anymore, I have a home to do what I want with, it gives me a sense of security and accomplishment.

Double sided reflection:
On one hand buying a home is very overwhelming and stressful. I struggle with finding the time and motivation to take the home buyers course. On the other hand I will not have to worry about paying rent. There is benefits/security being a homeowner and I will feel accomplished.

I find that it’s easier to be ambivalent rather taking steps to move forward. With double sided reflection I can see how remaining ambivalent will get me nowhere and my goals won’t be accomplished, however if I start to work through my anxiety with this and begin to take steps I will feel better, gain knowledge and have got closer to my goal.

Question 3:
Client’s goals: find housing, not go back to jail, have money for what things I want/need.

Providers goals: research housing opportunities and resources, compliance with probation and no new criminal conduct, establish a budget with needs prioritized.

Discrepancies could include what is considered appropriate housing for the client. Client’s idea of housing could not be obtainable due to their budget or expectations. Client idea of not going back to jail could potentially mean not get caught for illegal activity and client’s idea of budget could mean get their wants before the needs. Provider would want to ensure stable affordable housing, not engaging in behaviors that could have the client arrested and ensuring client is paying his bills before they are spending money on wanted items. Even though the goals look similar the actions steps could be very different with client/provider.
I would use MI skills to provide active listening and identify clients strengths and needs to ensure his objectives are goal targeted and offer support and encouragement.