Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Robert Hussey
Participant

Question 1
What are your general impressions of and reactions to the MI interview of Terry Moyers and the “Rounder?”

I enjoyed how the counselor was able to use reflective responses to get the client to answer their own questions. The client might have been more confrontational if the counselor was simply telling him what to do. This approach promoted change since the client had to come up with potential solutions himself and decide if these solutions were reasonable.

Question 2
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s sustain talk and two or three examples of Rounder’s change talk, and identify whether each is a Desire, Ability, Reason, Need, or Commitment, Activation, or Taking Steps type of change talk.

Sustain talk:
I drink a little bit but I work hard. It’s nothing for me to sit down and drink a six-pack or two of beer and still be able to function. (ability, reason)
I have a hard job. I work around a lot of old boys that are pretty rough and tumble. I drive a long ways and I unload big trucks. I get tired sometimes. I like to sit down and have a drink. (desire, need)
Yeah and I don’t know how they’d feel about me quitting drinking. I don’t know what they’d call me. (reason)
Change talk:
I wouldn’t mind coming here to live. (activation)
Well, I want something that will help me with court. (activation)
Cause, if I get out of this, if I can save my house and my job I’d better do something that’s gonna keep me from doing this again, don’t you think? (activation)

Question 3
Give two or three examples of the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses to Rounder’s sustain talk. What impact does the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses have on Rounder’s sustain talk and change talk? Be specific and elaborate.

“Right, you were successful in changing that in the past and sounds like you’d kind of like to be successful changing this.” The counselor is reflecting on client’s admitted strengths.

“So you kind of feel two ways about it. On the one hand, you know, you think you’d like to have a change and you’d like to quit drinking and on the other hand you think you kind of dread it.” Counselor is summarizing the client’s thoughts, feelings, and concerns on whether he should proceed with treatment.

Question 4
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s signs of readiness to change. If you were interviewing Rounder and you noticed these signs of readiness to change, what would your next step be in this interview? Be specific and elaborate.

“As long as I’m putting all this money into it I’d like to come out with something. You’d like to get something for your money, huh?” At this point, I would talk about value of money and commitment since finances appear to be important to client. Maybe client will be more likely to change when talking about positive financial outcomes and negative financial consequences since value of money seems important to client.

“So you’re kind of wondering what it would even be like here.” At this point I would probably provide an overview of the facility to gauge interest.