Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

April Sawyer
Participant

Question 1
What are your general impressions of and reactions to the MI interview of Terry Moyers and the “Rounder?”
Terri does a good job rolling with resistance and meeting the client where he is at. Jim moves from resistant to ambivalence and ultimately to change talk through Terri’s reflective listening and strategic responses. Terri was respectful to her client and did not demonstrate a stance on the subject at hand which allowed for Jim to be open to the conversation and not feel the need to be defensive.
Question 2
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s sustain talk and two or three examples of Rounder’s change talk, and identify whether each is a Desire, Ability, Reason, Need, or Commitment, Activation, or Taking Steps type of change talk.
Sustain talk, Desire, “I’m not real happy about being here. I hope you understand that”
Sustain talk, Need, “the only reason I’m coming here is so I can maybe save my driver’s license so I won’t lose my job and so I won’t lose my house. It’s not because I want to do any of this crap you know”.
Sustain talk, reason, “I’m not motivated to be here or anything, but I don’t like any of this I’ll be honest with you. It’s taking a lot of time that I don’t have. Its taking of money I don’t have for the court and the fines and all this stuff.
Change talk, ability, “I wouldn’t mind coming here to live, but I wouldn’t want to be in one of them places where you sit around in pajamas a bunch of longhaired hippie types crying and bitching and stuff like that. That ain’t my style you know”.
Change talk, reason, “You know there was another thing I was thinking about. If I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to be right back in this mess again”.
Change talk, activation, “As long as I’m putting all this money into it I’d like to come out with something.”
Question 3
Give two or three examples of the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses to Rounder’s sustain talk. What impact does the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses have on Rounder’s sustain talk and change talk? Be specific and elaborate.
“So it seems to you like I might try to push you around and make you do a whole bunch of things you don’t want to do”.
“Well let me ask you this. Since you’ve been forced to come here and since you’re feeling like everyone’s kind of pecking on you like a crow, there’s a bunch of crows flying around pecking on you about this thing about your drinking… What would you like to do with the time that you spend with me here? What would be helpful for you?”
“It almost sounds like you don’t even know whether you could stop even if you wanted to”.
Terri’s reflective listening and strategic responses allowed Jim to remain active in the conversation as he did not feel the need to defend himself or his thoughts. Jim was able to move from sustaining, to ambivalence to change talk by talking his way through the different questions that Terri posed on the subject at hand.
Question 4
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s signs of readiness to change. If you were interviewing Rounder and you noticed these signs of readiness to change, what would your next step be in this interview? Be specific and elaborate.
A sign of Jim’s readiness for change is when Jim started asking questions about the treatment center and showed interest in the possibility Jim asking questions about the treatment center. Jim was no longer just checking the box for what he was court ordered to do he was looking at options.
Another sign of Jim’s willingness to change was when he started to want to get something out of the experience. Jim expressed that he was spending time/money of the treatment he should get the benefit of what he is paying for.
Another sign of Jim’s willingness to change is his thinking about the future and acknowledging that if he does not change his drinking he will be in a similar situation. Jim’s recognition that his drinking has caused this incident and will likely cause another is signs that he has accepted that his drinking is a behavior that he needed to change