Reply To: Homework Week 4 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Amy Mihill
Participant

Stephanie’s personal narrative was a pleasure to watch and very informative. She presented as articulate and was a good self-advocate, explaining that she is the authority on what kinds of help she feels would be of the most benefit to her as she works to meet her goals while also living with significant mental health health symptoms.

I agree that the person driven, recovery orientated approach to recovery that Stephanie describes with the support of a peer is going to be more effective than the medical model. I believe that the person looking for support is able to establish a more trusting relationship with someone who has “been there” and found their way through similar situations and life experiences. If the person offering support and/or suggestions seems to have shared experiences with the person needing support, the peer’s concern, understanding, advice, and suggestions are probably viewed as being more credible. The person in need of support is probably then more like to be honest about their experiences and MH symptoms, not feel as judged, and may be more likely to take suggestions based on the peer’s experiences and successes with recovery.

This course has taught me to spend more time talking with clients about their past successes when helping them to consider future goals. I am going to be making an effort to help clients break their goals down into smaller and more manageable action steps that are more easily attained. I think too that this last lesson reinforced for me my believe in the power of 12 step peer lead groups.