Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Home Forums Trauma-Informed Care Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Joseph Hayward
Participant

1)Truth lies in the person’s story because it is their reality, It is what they believe to be true. Too often have folks like Ana been ignored or marginalized. There are never any easy answers to complicated problems, nor any quick easy fixes. The resulting symptoms of trauma are not a foregone conclusion, many people experience like-traumas yet manifest in different ways that’s why the truth lies in a person’s story not the symptomology of it.
2)I am in agreement with this crucial paradigm shift that allows clinicians to understand, to be empathetic and compassionate as opposed to “what’s your problem?. In asking of our clients “what’s happened to you?” it is an invitation, a chance for the listener (clinicians) to be present to be interested to create this space for the client to tell their story. To further inquire what have you tried to deal with this? Most importantly, how can you and I work together to strategize, meet your goals, so that you can heal and recover. I have a young man in my program who the minute my voice gets elevated he shuts down. While I would describe my voice as excitable or passionate matters none, he’s had a dad who’s been yelling at him for years and my voice when elevated, well-intentioned or not triggers him. Creating safety, developing a nurturing voice has been instrumental in our collaboration moving forward.
3)My agency continues to grow and learn in regard to these ten principles. We are devoted to fostering a safe atmosphere, and I’d have to say that empowering individuals who have experienced trauma (which is nearly all in some fashion or another)is expressly sought after. Peer group support is encouraged with a sense of decorum and permission from clients. Safety is the key though, for without there can be no fluid exchange of deep emotion. whether in a group setting or in individual therapy clients are made to (invited) explore obstacles/barriers to treatment. Continued exchange of Trauma Informed Care continues to benefit all clinicians to provide best practice for our clients.