Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Home Forums Trauma-Informed Care Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

katie Varney
Participant

Question 1
My reaction to Christina’s story is I am amazed by her strength and insightfulness. This is an individual who was traumatized at the age of 6, then retraumatized by the system and her parents did not believe her. So the distrust this person had experienced for so many years is heartbreaking. However, her resiliency and determination throughout this story is incredibly inspiring. She took it upon herself to seek out alternatives for treatments and continue to move forward. If I was her counselor, I would listen to her story and build on her strengths. I would want to develop a trusting relationship at her pace.

Question 2
I am not a clinician so I have not used these screening tools. I did take a look at them and I am familiar with the ACEs tool. I am not aware if we use this in primary care but I plan to ask around and speak about this at our next meeting. I know that providers are familiar with the screenings, I am just not sure how readily they are used.
Since I work in primary care, I took a look at the PC-PTSD-5 screening tool. I can see where this can be useful. We have a population of patients who are refugees and are aware that many have past trauma. I think this tool would be beneficial in identifying trauma. We have the resources in place to assist patients who may need counseling and follow up.

Question 3
I am not a clinician, but if I were, I would first want Selena to feel safe so I would establish safety. I would start by encouraging structure and routine. Next, I would work with the client on developing a safety plan. A person who feels in control and prepared is empowering which can lead to that overall secure feeling.
Normalizing symptoms with the client is also a strategy that is important. It can be reassuring for the client who went through a traumatic event to understand these symptoms as a reaction vs an untreatable MI.
Focusing on building resilience would be the third strategy I would use. Assisting a client in identifying their own strengths can benefit the client and build on resiliency.