Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Home Forums Trauma-Informed Care Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Joseph Hayward
Participant

1)Christina wasn’t believed by her own parents when she reported the sexual abuse. As she moved through all the misdiagnoses looking back she was able to normalize doing what any normal six year old would do. She was a hyper kid and easily bored which she saw as a strength, yet everybody else attached a label to her ADHD, ADD, she never felt heard. She was able to empower herself, tired of numbing out, realized that more CBT was best for her, researched the internet, was proactive in her own recovery, enrolled in therapy (continuity in care with same therapist for years, gave her a lot of credit)hadn’t been in jail in over four years…this is a woman who turned the “system” on its head, she was quietly determined with a steely reserve not to be bamboozled by medication, remained abstinent from alcohol, sought out peer support groups where people listened to her , people she could trust and be vulnerable with and realized she’s not alone. I would encourage Christina to learn more about psychoeducation, continue to collaborate mutual relationships with outside sources where she can rise above , manage and cope with her trauma. I thought the video was inspiring and remain hopeful that others who have experienced similar traumas are moved to take that first step in healing, that they too can recover, be empowered and live useful and productive lives.
@) I favor the Adverse Childhood Effects calculator because like it was mentioned in the module, its easier ( not for all and by no means the rule) for one to fill out a questionnaire and less imposing, the other is Brief Trauma questionnaire. This would again allow a client to acknowledge if there has been something in their past that they may feel warrants further work, it opens the door for a deeper conversation should they choose to be honest on the questionnaire.
3) Working with Selena I would try to create a safe space for her, fostering trust, all the while collaborating on coping strategies and awareness of trauma symptoms that may appear in ways in which she had no idea. Further education in this area would also help to alleviate regression and allow her to add meaning to her already amazing life with all that she’s over come. Build on her strengths, continue to enhance her belief that she is no longer a victim, she is in control of her life.