Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

ccolby
Participant

Question 1
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Soft Belly Meditation? What was it like for you to have a point of focus be the soft belly? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to enhance acceptance of feelings and sensations in the moment?
I really like the soft belly meditation and use it often, for myself and with clients. I feel having a physical focus of my core is warming and simpler than throughout other parts of my body. I also found it hard at first to accept softening of an area that we’re always told to tighten, to be unsatisfied with, to somehow change. I find clients will often have that same struggle initially, and so it’s another layer of soothing to add that acceptance of self to the physical activity they are doing together with me doing it as well.

Question 2
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Acceptance Exercise? What was it like for you to have the point of focus be the phrase, “May I accept myself completely as I am right now?” How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this mindfulness exercise to enhance acceptance of self in the moment?
I struggle sometimes with affirmations, often getting stuck in the specific words sounding forced or like someone else’s idea of what I should be feeling. I do, however, respond well to a mantra, so I try to find the spirit of the mediation in my own words, like setting an intention in yoga. I find simple, repeated, positive words to be one more place to ground my thoughts when they inevitably drift.

Question 3
How would you envision adapting and integrating the Soft Belly Meditation and/or the Acceptance Exercise into your clinical work with others, particularly people with addictions? Be specific.
Soft belly is helpful for those experiencing tension, GI distress, and other physical discomfort that can come from cravings, withdrawals, and intrusive thoughts and worries. Having a particular mantra that reminds a person of their goal or purpose to enduring some discomfort or one that simply encourages them to trust their bodies can be particularly helpful in riding the wave.