Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Jennifer Mrozowski
Participant

Question 1)My general impression of this interview was her ability to remain neutral and guide the conversation in the direction of reasons why Jim could or should change in his own opinion and how well she was able to reflect and summarize back to him the information he provided.

Question 2)Example 1 sustained talk -People keep saying that you need to stop drinking and I ain’t never done that either. I think I could. I’ve tried a couple of times and I wasn’t very… I think one time I quit for a week or two just to show people I could stop drinking. I wasn’t too happy. Really I didn’t know why in the hell I stopped anyway. 
Example 2 sustained talk that’s a funny thing to say. I can do just about anything but I can’t say yes to that, that I can stop drinking. I think you’re right on that one. There’s a lot of things I can do, but I’ve never tried to stop drinking, I get thinking about it, honestly.
Example 3 sustained talk-First thing they would say I probably couldn’t hold my liquor and that’s why I stopped and that ain’t true. I can out drink any of them
Example 1 change talk-I wouldn’t mind coming here to live, but I wouldn’t want to be in one of the places where you sit around in pajamas a bunch of longhaired hippie types crying and bitching and stuff like that. That ain’t my style you know.-DESIRE 
Example 2 change talk-You know there was another thing I was thinking about. If I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to be right back in this mess again. REASON
Example 3 change talk-Well, I want something that will help me with the court. NEED

Question 3)The use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses allowed the interviewer to remain neutral and make sure she was understanding what Jim was saying.  Example 1  So it’s confusing to you why your drinking should cause a problem or everybody should be talking about that when you look around and you see that other people drink more than you do.Example2 It almost sounds like you don’t even know whether you could stop even if you wanted to.

Question 4)readiness to change Example 1  Jim: Maybe not right away but somewhere down the road. Example 2 Jim: As long as I’m putting all this money into it I’d like to come out with something. The next step would be to ask the person what might be some ways they could achieve the goal of reducing/quitting drinking. Then Ask them on a scale of 1 to 10 how Sure they are that they could stop or reduce their drinking. The interviewer would ask why they chose the number they chose and not a lower number.