Reply To: Homework Week 1 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Nicolyn Brown
Participant

1. What are your general reactions to the mindful writing? What were some of the personal resources, skills, and abilities you relied on to help you through a difficult experience in your life?

I haven’t done any sort of free writing or journaling since I was a child so it was certainly a different approach. In reviewing my narrative, it is clear that family (biological and chosen) has been a significant personal resource in meeting both my physical and emotional needs. When things seem overwhelming, one skill I utilize is to chart/list/plot a series of goals in small tangible, incremental steps and then address each goal one at a time.

2. What are some of the ways the questions and or the mindful writing helped you uncover your narrative of resilience?

Taking the time to write things out forced me to slow down my stream of thoughts in a way that allowed for more reflection.

3. How might you apply the Narrative questions and or mindful writing in your work with others to help them uncover a neglected story of resilience in their lives?

In my role, clients often focus on the deficits in others. Asking narrative questions and giving them time to reflect often leads to a discussion of strengths we wouldn’t have other wise had which can lead to tangible steps moving forward.