2021.08.19 | 12p.m. to 1p.m. | Drug Diversion in Health Care: Legal and Ethical Considerations | 1 Contact Hour or 1 CME
This webinar will address the law and ethics of drug diversion (primarily by caregivers) in Maine. Diversion in health care and residential facilities will be the focus, but prevention and detection in patients’ homes will be touched on in passing.
You will be able to:
- Recognize the warning signs of diversion
- Identify the major laws related to diversion
- Discuss consequences of diversion for facilities, providers, and victims
ABOUT the PRESENTERS
John Burke John Burke is an Assistant Attorney General in the Maine Attorney General’s office, prosecuting crimes and civil offenses related to fraud and patient abuse in the MaineCare system. He has practiced law for 24 years, the last 16 as a prosecutor. Read more
Heath Langevin Heath Langevin is a Detective in the Maine Attorney General’s Office, assigned to the Healthcare Crimes Unit which focuses on combating fraud, waste, and abuse within the MaineCare system. Read more
- 1 Continuing Medical Education This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Maine Medical Education Trust and (CCSME). The Maine Medical Education Trust is accredited by the Maine Medical Association Committee on Continuing Medical Education and Accreditation to provide continuing medical education for physicians
- 1 contact hour for social workers, licensed clinical professional counselors, and behavioral health professionals
- 1 contact hours independent study Category I contact hours for Psychologists are provided. CCSME is a pre-approved sponsor and provider of Professional Education Activities for Psychologists.
- 1 contact hours CHES. CCSME is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- 1 contact hour pending for alcohol and drug counselors from the board of alcohol and drug counselors
- 1 contact hour continuing legal education pending approval from the Maine State Bar Association
Completion of an electronic evaluation is required to receive a certificate of contact hours.