How it Works
This is a four-week, online course. Each week participants are given material to complete online at their convenience during the week. A .pdf certificate will be issued upon completion of all course material and a course evaluation.
- Describe the Spirit of Motivational Interviewing (MI) and demonstrate how to apply the fundamental method of MI (OARS) to help people change risk behaviors
- Define the difference between change talk and sustain talk and describe how MI could evoke change talk
- Demonstrate the use of MI in developing a change plan and sustaining change
- Give an example of the applications of MI in the treatment of people with mental health, co-occurring substance use disorders, and related health conditions across a variety of clinical settings
About the Facilitator
Patricia A. Burke, MSW, LCSW, BCD is a Board Certified Diplomat in Clinical Social Work, a Certified Clinical Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs Social Worker and a Certified Clinical Supervisor with over 30 of clinical and teaching experience.
Certificates will be issued upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given.
- 8 contact hours for nurses.
CCSME Provider Unit is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Northeast Multi-State Division (NE-MSD), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Accreditation status does not imply endorsement by ANCC, NE-MSD or CCSME Provider Unit.
- 8 contact hours pending approval by the Maine Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors.
- 8 Category I contact hours for Psychologists are provided.
CCSME is a pre-approved sponsor and provider of Professional Education Activities for Psychologists.
- 8 contact hours for CHES.
CCSME is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Certificate of completion for 8 contact hours for Social Workers, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors, and other Professionals.
Lesson 4: Applications of MI
Applications of MI In Mental Health and Co-Occurring Disorders
Applications of MI in Changing Related Health Conditions in Behavioral Health and Primary Care Settings
An MI Approach to Screening and Feedback in a Healthcare Setting: The Guiding Style of Asking, Listening, Informing
MI in Primary Care: Examples
- Applications of MI In Mental Health and Co-Occurring Disorders
- Applications of MI in Changing Related Health Conditions in Behavioral Health and Primary Care Settings
- An MI Approach to Screening and Feedback in a Healthcare Setting: The Guiding Style of Asking, Listening, Informing
- MI in Primary Care: Examples
- Cross-Cultural Applications