Presenter: Frederic Reamer, PhD This on-demand online course will explore cutting-edge ethical issues arising out of behavioral health professionals' growing use of digital technology, electronic interventions and communications, and social media to deliver services and communicate with clients.
This on-demand online course will explore cutting-edge ethical issues arising out of behavioral health professionals’ growing use of digital technology, electronic interventions and communications, and social media to deliver services and communicate with clients. Moving beyond introductory ethics concepts, Dr. Frederic Reamer will examine complex ethical issues related to practitioners’ and clients’ use of social networking sites, e-therapy, chat rooms, moderated forums, self-guided Web-based intervention, video conferencing, telephone therapy, avatar therapy, search engines, email exchanges, text messages, and electronic records. The course will focus on key ethical challenges related to privacy, confidentiality, privileged communication, informed consent, boundaries, nontraditional interventions, and documentation, among others.
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- identify ethical dilemmas related to behavioral health professionals’ use of electronic interventions, digital technology, and social media to serve and communicate with clients
- apply ethical decision-making frameworks and ethical standards
- identify ethical issues that pose malpractice and liability risks
- design strategies to protect clients and prevent ethics complaints and lawsuits
How it Works
After watching a video presentation by Frederic Reamer, PhD, you will be required to take a short quiz. Upon receiving a grade of 80% or higher, you will be directed to a course evaluation. Once you have completed the evaluation, you will be able to download a .pdf certificate to get your course credit.
- Video Presentation – two 1-hour videos
- Exit quiz requiring a score of at least 80% to earn contact hours
- Evaluation of the training
About the Presenter
Frederic Reamer, Ph.D. Frederic G. Reamer is Professor in the graduate program of the School of Social Work, Rhode Island College, where he has been on the faculty since 1983. His research and teaching have addressed a wide range of human service issues, including mental health, health care, criminal justice, public welfare, and professional ethics. https://ccsme.org/frederic-reamer-phd>Read more
Certificates will be issued upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given.
- 2 CONTACT HOURS for social workers, licensed professional clinical counselors, psychologists, continuing health education specialists, and behavioral healthcare workers.
- This course may be used for 2 contact hour for MHRT-C Domain 3
Disclosure: Neither the presenter nor the program planners (CCSME) have any commercial interest or conflict of interest to disclose.
Disclaimer: This course is intended for educational purposes only. The views, opinions, and content expressed in this presentation do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or policies of the Co-Occurring Collaborative Serving Maine (CCSME).