Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision)

Home Forums Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Ethical Issues in Clinical Supervision)

CHELSEA SPEAR
Participant

Question 1
What is it like for you to know that you have taken or might take on the duty and responsibility of vicarious liability as a clinical supervisor?

Answer- To be honest, it is something that creates anxiety for me. I pride myself on adhering highly to ethical standards and though I also strive to be the best clinical supervisor I can be, at the end of the day I do not have control over another’s behavior. This anxiety does not overwhelm for the most part, though, as it just fuels me to be sure I am keeping detailed documentation and providing the best clinical supervision possible.

Question 2
Describe 3 strategies you have already employed or have thought about employing to manage this sense of responsibility so it doesn’t impact your clinical and supervisory work negatively and/or does impact your work in a positive way?
Answer:
1. vicarious liability fuels me to ensure that my staff are adequately trained. In addition to helping them secure outside training, I also implement training as a part of my weekly group supervision
2. I have become an over the top documenter of any potential supervisory issues. This has enabled me to feel more secure in knowing that if anything were to occur, I have enough to support that I was doing my job ethically
3. I have increased direct in vivo supervision as well as regular quality assurance calls to clients to make sure that

Question 3
How does your agency support/not support you to manage the legal and ethical responsibility of vicarious liability and how can you advocate for more support if it is lacking?
Answer:
Honestly, my agency does not do the best job of giving me space to manage the responsibility of vicarious liability. I do not let this deter me, however, and I continue to push back and link the need for me to provide increased clinical supervision as necessary for ethical client care as a whole.