Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Home Forums Trauma-Informed Care Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Trauma-Informed Care)

Jason Antkies
Participant

Question 1
Following these guidelines creates a safe, supportive, and trusted environment. When a client can feel safe and develops trust they can begin to practice honesty, openness, and vulnerability. This is going to lead to the client being able to accomplish treatment goals and produce greater organizational outcomes. The non-clinical members who are not trauma-informed are more likely to pathologize clients. This greatly hinders the quality of care delivered, impacting relationships and leading to less compassion and empathy for the client. I also see more burnout and compassion fatigue.

Question 2
I have developed competencies in evidence-based practices, the development of therapeutic alliances, and awareness and commitment to self-care practices. My clinical practice is grounded in Motivational Interviewing. I practice listening with compassion, being empathetic, not having an agenda, not being attached to outcomes, and remaining neutral in conversations with clients. I believe this practice allows me to form strong alliances with the people I work with. I can improve with screening for and assessment of trauma history and trauma-related disorders and becoming more competent in trauma-specific interventions.

Question 3
Larry’s approach was not in line with TIC. He ignored the client’s trauma history, instead of focusing on what worked for his personal recovery and believing that is what the client needs to do. He lacked empathy and compassion for her situation. I think Larry’s supervisor recognizes that Larry needs more training on evidence-based practices and non-aggressive confrontational styles. He realizes that Larry is relying on his own experience which is not helpful to the client. He wants to help Larry develop the skills to assist the client in engaging in recovery support groups.