Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Mark Allen
Participant

What did you notice about your physical experience during the Lying Down/Body Scan Meditation? What was it like to make contact with the different areas of your body? What was it like to make note of your sensate experience, accept it, then move on without trying to change or fix that experience? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to help you make contact with your sensate experience in the present moment? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to help you develop both concentration and flexibility of attention simultaneously?

I find certain parts of my body to be more tense than others, at different sessions of meditation. When I sense tenseness or stiffness I usually check in there until I feel ready to move on. I find noises are distractions often. I sometimes roll a towel and support my spine to support my back and neck for more stretching options for my lower back, old military injury. It is a helpful technique. This is very helpful before sleep.

Question 2
What was it like to focus fully and completely on the object first visually and then through your sense of touch during the Focusing on a Single Object exercise? What did you notice about the experience of sustaining your focus of attention on an object in the present moment? What was it like to notice your mind wander, then gently bring your attention back to the present moment? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this mindfulness exercise to enhance your ability to focus your attention, maintain your focus for longer periods of time, and concentrate fully on the present moment?

Using a single object is helpful for focused meditation, I find the visual piece to more concentrating. With clients, they seem to prefer the visual over physical. This is an effective tool to help someone deal with transient thoughts or cravings. Adding time to the meditation over time is helpful.

Question 3
How would you envision adapting and integrating the Lying Down/Body Scan Meditation and/or the Focusing on a Single Object into your clinical work with people with substance use or mental disorders? Be specific.

The lying down body scan is not always practical but the seated body scan is. I have used the seated body scan in small groups in IOP settings or one to one to help them get through stress around MH or substance use recovery. Any positive skills that help clients get through problematic thoughts and feelings is helpful, more tools in their tool box. The object focus is also helpful, they can focus on a light source or their pen, etc. Start with a minute, work up to five minutes. This is a good homework or weekend prompt as well, I usually prompt them to add this to their weekend planning list of quick coping skills.