Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Adalgisa Holtrop
Participant

1-It was nice to do the exercise of lying down, it reminded me of the many hours I spent years ago on the floor sensing my body in dance warmups. I noticed that I had a completely different experience before than this time. I am out of practice. I was able to notice tensions in my body, spaces between floor and my body, the process of letting go of tension, the difficulties of certain areas to relax, among many other sensations. I enjoyed very much the invitation to be in my body again with such care and loving kindness, without judgment or need to change, but just notice. It is a privilege to be able to take time to pay attention to our body while lying. It should not be this way, but it is. This is effective way to come to sensations of the body, helping to stay in the present moment, focusing and staying with what is.

2-I can see that the object meditation does help with development of attention focus. I can see that with practice it might become easier to sustain focus and train the brain to stay with what is in front of us. The mind wanders but the sensory part helps to stay with the physical sensation which helps to stay with the attention on the moment. I find this exercise effective and although simple, not easy.

3-I intend to teach the exercise of lying down as a possible tool to assist with relaxing the body, to being in touch with sensations and being curious of the correlation between sensations and feelings. I have already taught clients to use this meditation exercise to calm the anxious mind at night in bed before falling sleep. Sometimes I do with clients during session a quick check of the sensations of their bodies. Usually, their answers of their observations of their bodies lead us to interesting conversations around challenges they encounter in their other realms of their being, feelings, thoughts, and spirituality. I have learned, in my many years as a dancer, that the body doesn’t hide, and the body is a friend. By developing with clients this concept of the body as a honest friend, clients learn how to be more kind, respectful and trusting of their bodies. My clients also learn that listening to the body respectfully teaches them to be more accepting and compassionate with themselves.