Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Home Forums Mindfulness in Behavioral Health Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health) Reply To: Week 3 Homework Assignment (Mindfulness in Behavioral Health)

Lauren Porter
Participant

Question 1
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Soft Belly Meditation? What was it like for you to have a point of focus be the soft belly? How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this meditation to enhance acceptance of feelings and sensations in the moment?
I enjoyed the soft belly meditation the most out of exercises so far. I think this combined the idea of having a point of return, like to the breath, with a more tangible physical manifestation. It also helped me pace my breath and focus on breathing deep into the abdomen versus short, quick breaths. I think this would be an exercise I would suggest to clients once we have practiced using the breath as a frame of return first. I think this could also be helpful with people struggle with emotional distress to focus on deep breathing and conscious awareness of how their breath is entering their body.

Question 2
What did you notice about your physical experience during the Acceptance Exercise? What was it like for you to have the point of focus be the phrase, “May I accept myself completely as I am right now?” How would you evaluate the effectiveness of this mindfulness exercise to enhance acceptance of self in the moment?
I found this exercise quite challenging. First, I had a harder time with a point of focus being a phrase and less connection to breathwork. This phrase also felt emotionally charged for me. While I have practiced radical acceptance before and used that structure of thinking in my own life, I tend to gear it around accepting the present moment and less about accepting myself in the context of the present moment. I found myself continuing to pass judgment about myself, whereas just focusing on the external environment felt easier. I think this could be a more difficult exercise for some clients and may need to be worked up to.

Question 3
How would you envision adapting and integrating the Soft Belly Meditation and/or the Acceptance Exercise into your clinical work with others, particularly people with addictions? Be specific.
I could adapt the soft belly meditation to be used in times of acute distress or cravings as well, as I think it could help activate the parasympathetic nervous system and help someone return to a more baseline state. With the acceptance exercise, I may help someone chose a different statement to return to, such as, “I accept myself and the decisions I have made.”