Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 1 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Liz Riddell
Participant

Question 1: in the non-MI approach, Sal has become defensive, irritated and a bit angry and pushes back, almost feels insulted, and his body language is more animated (hands and arms moving about) in the MI approach, Sal is more relaxed (leaning in) expresses his ideas and feelings more openly, the MI style is more helpful as he seems more comfortable with the provider and seems to come to the understanding of how his asthma has been impacting him and acknowledges the changes he has been making along with what other possible changes he could make to improve the situation.
Question 2: changing eating habits- 1)feel better/it’s alot of work 2)lose weight/love my junk food 3) less gut pain/just want to have fun and not think about it; “On one hand you’d like to feel better and see the benefits of changing your eating habits. On the other hand, it’s a struggle to have to constantly be thinking about it and don’t want it to ruin your fun.” “On one hand you like the idea of losing weight. On the other hand you feel overwhelmed that it is a lot of hard work” “On one hand having let gut pain would be great. On the other hand eating what you want is something you find enjoyable” My general reactions to this exercise is that it is making me focus on what I would like to change and how it could/would impact me. It is making me think more about how I could change it (ex. working with a dietician, personal trainer, etc).
3 generated target behaviors: quit smoking, getting to emails in a timely fashion, speaking up more in meetings. Own agenda target behaviors: listening to others better, tone of emails, calling out frequently. My list was a bit more negative in what behaviors I identified. Righting reflex: to offer advise by offering suggestions. I may start off with asking what they would like to focus on first and ask more open ended questions about things they have tried, and had success with, to improve the behaviors, and what they think led to going back to previous habits. Along with their thoughts on ways they haven’t tried.