Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Liz Riddell
Participant

Question 1: My general impressions were that she was very calm and relaxed in her presentation. She showed reflective listening and asked a lot of open ended questions, which eventually led him to his own conclusion about needing to do something about his drinking so he didn’t end up back where he is now.
Question 2: two examples of sustained talk; Rounder made several statements during the beginning of his session about how he used to drink and fight when he was younger and that he has changed in the last 10 yrs, statement: I’m not like one of those bums you see laying down there by the bus depot on the lawn selling his blood and stealing hubcaps.(Reason) I’ve never stole anything and I’ve worked everyday since I got a social security card. (Reason) These statements show his “belief” that drinking hasn’t been a problem if he can do these things. And does not actually take responsibility. two examples of change talk; his questions/inquiries about the treatment center (desire) & if I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to end up right back in this same mess again (activation)
Question 3: one example of the interviewer using reflective listening: Let me ask you this. Since you’ve been forced to come here and since you’re feeling like everyone’s kind of pecking on you….What would you like to do with the time that you spend here with me? What would be helpful for you? This makes Rounder think and consider what goals he might want to work on. Moving him toward change talk. Another example: It sounds like if you look ahead and take a look at ryou drinking and see where you’re going to go with that, you’re kind of worried about that? Rounder’s response of doing something that is going to keep him from doing this again continues the process of looking ahead and moving toward commitment, activation, and taking steps.
Question 4: An example of his readiness to change is his statement inquiring about the treatment center and what they do there shows a desire to at least get some information about it and his statement about coming here to live shows commitment and activation. as the session winds up he continues to make statements that bring him closer to taking steps to change. As the interviewer I would ask him if he would like more information (handouts, etc) about the facility/program and plan to talk more about it at the next session therefore setting it up to move forward with the conversation of treatment, and giving him time to think about it as opposed to feeling pressured to make a decision in that moment at the end of the session.