Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Sherie Daigle
Participant

Question 1
What are your general impressions of and reactions to the MI interview of Terry Moyers and the “Rounder?”
I really enjoyed the MI interview with Rounder and felt that it was an accurate depiction of a conversation that might occur when an individual is mandated to engage in services but may not yet be ready for change. Throughout the interview, Terry does a fantastic job at reflective listening, reframing, and highlighting Rounder’s autonomy throughout the conversation. This strategy allows for Rounder to feel little need for “resistance” to the idea of change and begins to explore why change may be something he could entertain. By remaining neutral, Terry allows Rounder that space to process and engage in a conversation that explores change from the standpoint of a potential option and not a “must”.
Question 2
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s sustain talk and two or three examples of Rounder’s change talk, and identify whether each is a Desire, Ability, Reason, Need, or Commitment, Activation, or Taking Steps type of change talk.
Sustain Talk:
Example 1: “The only reason I am coming here is so I can maybe save my driver’s license so I won’t lose my job and so I won’t lose my house”-Need
Example 2: “I drink a little, but I work hard”-Reasons
Change Talk:
Example 1: “I wouldn’t mind doing some of this stuff if there was anything in it for me…” -Commitment
Example 2: “I wouldn’t mind coming here to live…”-Activation
Question 3
Give two or three examples of the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses to Rounder’s sustain talk. What impact does the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses have on Rounder’s sustain talk and change talk? Be specific and elaborate.
Complex Reflective Listening:
Example 1: “So it seems to you like I might try to push you around and make you do a whole bunch of things you don’t want to”
Example 2: “I’m hearing you loud and clear that being here is not something that is really a high priority for you”
Strategic Responses:
Example 1: “So drinking kind of helps you relax, you know, cope with your life”
Example 2: “So you’re kind of wondering what it would even be like here”
The impact of Terry’s use of reflective listening and sustain talk is clear. Throughout the conversation when resistance is present, Terry highlights and/or reframes this thought. This diffusing of resistance by remaining open and coming alongside in many ways allows for Rounder to have a safe “sounding board” to contemplate change.
Question 4
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s signs of readiness to change. If you were interviewing Rounder and you noticed these signs of readiness to change, what would your next step be in this interview? Be specific and elaborate.
Readiness to change:
Example 1: “You know another thing I was thinking about. If I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to be right back in this mess again”
Example 2: “…if I can save my house and my job I’d better do something that’s gonna keep me from doing this again…”
If I was conducting this interview, I would begin to try and engage Rounder in some envisioning talk and explore how life might be better, or any advantages to changing and key in on his previous statements of keeping his license, job and house and maybe getting to spend more time with his grandkids. Additionally, exploring what changes Rounder may be ready to make and testing his willingness to experiment with change.