Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 2 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Stephanie Garza
Participant

Question 1
I find that his reactions would be something that could be seen of many who are mandated to a treatment that they do not feel that they need and are being forced to participate in. After reading the material for this week’s class, I could see him climbing the MI Mountain and starting to come back down the other side due to Terry’s reflecting back to him what he is saying and then subtly leading him to an area where he is able to come up withy his own reasons to being able to commit to change.

Question 2
Ability: I’ve tried a couple of times and I wasn’t very… I think one time I quit for a week or two just to show people I could stop drinking.
Reason: Well, I want something that will help me with court.
Need: If I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to be right back in this mess again.

Question 3
Give two or three examples of the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses to Rounder’s sustain talk. What impact does the interviewer’s use of complex reflective listening and strategic responses have on Rounder’s sustain talk and change talk? Be specific and elaborate.

1.) “Yeah. You’re not here because you think you have a problem. You’re here because they sent you here.” Because she is able to reflect that he does not feel that he needs to be there, he then opens up the conversation further with how this if effecting him financially as well as how he is feeling that his lawyer, who is also a friend, is saying that he has a drinking problem despite that he (Rounder) feels that he has taken care of the lawyer many times in the past for behaviors that included the lawyer drinking too much.

2.) “Do you kind of have the feeling that your wife and daughter are ganging up against you?” Regarding this statement, Terry is able to help him express how he feels that both his wife and daughter are ganging up on him by joining with him and this results in him then opening the door for him to delve deeper into the subject.

Question 4
Give two or three examples of Rounder’s signs of readiness to change. If you were interviewing Rounder and you noticed these signs of readiness to change, what would your next step be in this interview? Be specific and elaborate.

“This treatment center thing- is that here at this facility?”
“You know there was another thing I was thinking about. If I don’t stop drinking I’m probably going to be right back in this mess again.”
“Yeah. Cause, if I get out of this, if I can save my house and my job I’d better do something that’s gonna keep me from doing this again, don’t you think?”

I would move towards helping him find the questions that he wants answered regarding the treatment so that while it would still be a new and scary endeavor, he would feel more in control with having some knowledge around this. I would summarize his points thus far and reflect those nuggets that he has given of his readiness and the reasons around that.