Reply To: Week 4 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 4 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI) Reply To: Week 4 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Stephanie Garza
Participant

Question 1
I enjoyed watching these videos in contrast to some of the others we have watched that have made me uncomfortable as the interactions seemed forced or even that the clinician was unable to decide which way to go with topics. The doctor was able to talk with the patient and assist her with coming up with options of how to progress with hr goal of sopping smoking and a very fluid manner which allowed it to seem almost organic. I cannot think of anything that I would change in the interaction.
Question 2
I feel that the doctor was able to use the open ended questions which results in a back and forth dialogue where both the clinician and the patient are involved in the dance of conversation, rather than it being a one way street of closed ended questions or a more “lecture” style conversation. I was able to watch her confidence grow as she continued to grow more comfortable with the success that she was experiencing as well as deciding to push it further with smoking less and less.
Question 3
As I stated above, the physician was able to have the conversation flowing back and forth so fluidly that it allowed him to add in some bits and pieces, but more over that she continued to drive the bus and be the one in charge of where the bus was going and how to get there. He was kind and empathetic when they approached sensitive subjects, such as in the first video she discussed her health and how she had not been feeling well for quite sometime and how this scared her. He allowed her space to process this but then smoothly shifted gears to looking at a timeline for her to stop smoking. Because he utilized MI techniques, she was able to approach her goal with feelings of anxiety in regard to quitting itself, but what I did not see was her feeling shame or embarrassment for smoking which can happen if clinicians are using another modality or acting as the “expert”.
Question 4
I think that two of the most important skills to use is empathy and being non-judgmental as this helps disarm folks so that they are able to lay it all out on the table rather than hiding pieces here and there if they feel that they are being judged. I think that this also increase their confidence in addressing said issues as one of the hardest parts of the entire process can be naming what help you are looking for and why you need that help.