Reply To: Homework Week 2 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Julia Foster
Participant

What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying strengths and reflecting on how a strength can help you achieve a recovery or wellness goal?
the language use feels very intentional and thoughtful. I personally found the section I picked to be challenging to answer because it is not an area I have put a lot of thought into. I was trained to use strength based language in assessment work and find creating plans from strengths vs deficits/’weakness” it allows the individual to feel empowered to make the change and encourages thinking about goals in a different perspective.
What did you discover about your own strengths that might have been previously hidden from view?
I found that I am more limited in how I spend my free time and how I structure my time than I thought, I know this is a strengths based questions but I feel like I spent a lot of time talking to other people about self care and wellness but at the end of the day I need to do better for myself. shifting the narrative to strength language: I am a great advocate for others.
How would you or have you used a strengths assessment to help consumers identify their strengths and uncover their hopes and dreams?
This is helpful to just begin a dialogue about goals and identifying small steps for change. I think anyone who has been in the ‘system’ or felt marginalized may see this as a challenge because it changes the conversation to look at what is good v the “what’s wrong with you” narrative that many often experience when seeking treatment and services. allowing someone to be thoughtful in how they may want their future to look may allow them to feel more in control of their life and the potential outcome of treatment or the ability to make change.