Reply To: Homework Week 3 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

emilygarland
Participant

1) What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying wellness goals and taking action to achieve them?

I enjoy using tools such as this with clients and feel it is useful to move into a more active phase- especially if someone is prone to overthinking. I find that I sometimes benefit from putting things onto paper- having the visual cues helps me to brainstorm in a more dynamic way. One thing I noticed about this tool is that is would be easy to create a large goal that could feel overwhelming without some guidance or focused attention to ensure that the goal is small enough to accomplish without overwhelming progress.

2) What did you discover about how your strengths, supporters, and or community resources might help you overcome barriers to taking an action step or reaching your goal?

This step really made me consider how challenging it would be to come up with a list of feasible resources if I were experiencing economic insecurity or other forms of social isolation or marginalization. It seems that one needs to perceive that these resources are available to them and/or accessible in order to accept them as a resource and a strength. This is a large barrier in many instances.

3) What are some strategies you would employ to help consumers develop and implement their own wellness/recovery plans?

I incorporate the insights gleaned from this exercise to both ensure that the individual creates goals that are meaningful to their life and their recovery and not aimed at pleasing others or “checking boxes.” I would also make sure I set up a frame work whereby initial goals could be as lofty as they want to ensure that all options are considered before explaining that the process of creating smaller more manageable goals would be the successive phases of the process. This allows the individual to experience smaller successes along the way to the overall goal. In addition, this underscores the importance of ensuring that the individual has a strong connection to community supports and, if not, to begin exploring what it would take to create this and what it would consist of. This would likely facilitate success and a feeling of belonging to a larger community network that would benefit any plan for recovery.