Reply To: Homework Week 3 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Natalie Lonstein
Participant

1) What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying wellness goals and taking action to achieve them?

I really liked this exercise. It shed some light on my priorities and what is currently getting in the way of reaching my goals. It got me thinking deeply about potential barriers, and the importance of working through these realities because if they are not explored and planned for, they will prevent me from reaching my goals. I especially enjoyed thinking about the concrete action steps that could help me in reaching these goals. It has me considering that if I commit to taking these steps, which are attainable, I would actually be on track (or closer) to meeting my goals. I also really appreciate that the first few domains don’t typically fall into the categories we automatically think of when we consider wellness, but are still really vital pieces.

2) What did you discover about how your strengths, supporters, and or community resources might help you overcome barriers to taking an action step or reaching your goal?

This exercise helped me to consider what resources (strengths, supports, etc) I already have that can be harnessed to meet the goals I have outlined. With the living situation goal, the action steps I have outlined are easily attainable with commitment and conversation with my husband. When I consider some of my strengths to be vulnerability and help-seeking, both of these come into play in recognizing and being open to discussion about barriers, and then being willing to ask for help in working through the action steps to meet my goals. There is a lot of problem-solving work here, and matching strengths to needs.

3) What are some strategies you would employ to help consumers develop and implement their own wellness/recovery plans?

Keeping in mind that a strong focus on barriers, or things not going well, can bring down a hopeful discussion around goals and plans, I think that exploration of barriers is really important. Goals can’t be attained if there are large barriers in the way. I think very clear, open, and honest discussion around barriers that arise for consumers, and then planning for these barriers is necessary to successful recovery and wellness planning. I think that it also empowers consumers and increases confidence in meeting their wellness goals. In other words, if we have discussed all the potential barriers or issues that could arise, and have plans A-G for how to overcome them, we have a really well thought out plan for meeting these goals! I think prioritization is important because a long list is very overwhelming. I also think continued and regular exploration and reflected back to the consumer of their strengths, and how to connect this to the resources and supports that already exist for them, is an exercise in sustainability for the long run.