Homework Week 1 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Home Forums Wellness and Recovery Promotion in Behavioral Health Services Homework Week 1 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kristen Erickson
    Keymaster

Homework Exercises

Please Note: Do the exercise(s) before you answer the homework questions.

Do a 5 -10 minute mindful write about a story of resilience in your own personal or professional life. Feel free to use the Guidelines for a Mindful Write in the lesson or simply listen to your thoughts and write them down without editing. Please note that you don’t have to share your mindful write with anyone else. Your write is for you. Use the following questions from the lesson to help you get started, but allow your thoughts to take you wherever they go.

“Tell me about a time when you got through a difficult experience in your life.” “What were some of the personal resources, skills, and abilities you relied on to help you through this experience?”

Homework Questions

Please Note: While answering the homework questions please only share personal information or specific responses to the homework exercises you feel comfortable sharing. It is up to you to decide how much or how little to disclose. Please respect the privacy and confidentiality of clients and others in your sharing.

1. What are your general reactions to the mindful writing? What were some of the personal resources, skills, and abilities you relied on to help you through a difficult experience in your life?
    2. What are some of the ways the questions and or the mindful writing helped you uncover your narrative of resilience?
    3. How might you apply the Narrative questions and or mindful writing in your work with others to help them uncover a neglected story of resilience in their lives?

Post your answers by clicking the reply button. Make sure you keep a copy of your responses in a text file on your computer in case there is a problem submitting your comments. There is no way of retrieving the data once it is submitted. Thanks.

Click here to go back to course after you have submitted your assignment: Back to course

Patty Morini
    Participant

What are your general reactions to the mindful writing? What were some of the personal resources, skills, and abilities you relied on to help you through a difficult experience in your life?
    I tend to be resilient, but can move through things too fast sometimes. Taking time to write to honor the present challenge, sit with it, move with it like a dance of sorts as I grapple with painful feelings is very useful. I tend to move the body to move the mind, and sometimes I jump over the “muddiest puddles” because I just don’t want to acknowledge them. But you know, I have never minded getting dirty. Some of the resources that help me through difficult experiences include getting OUT in nature-for a challenging hike, gardening, splitting wood; specific supportive people (may be different depending upon what I’m dealing with), reading/listening to radical acceptance and other concepts. My family is an incredible resource that I don’t take for granted. My pets. My own ability to get up and out to move is ALWAYS useful.
    What are some of the ways the questions and or the mindful writing helped you uncover your narrative of resilience?
    Taking time to slow down is really important to me. I’ve really worked on staying in the moment most of the time and this enables me not to miss the opportunity to be grateful, to notice a beautiful sunrise or interesting growth in nature, smell the changing season. It also helps me to say the things I’m feeling or thinking so that I can honor the reality and do what I can to let it move through me rather than getting stuck within.
    How might you apply the Narrative questions and or mindful writing in your work with others to help them uncover a neglected story of resilience in their lives?
    Sitting and practicing narrative writing is a way to teach myself so I can assist others in seeing if there is value for their own process of recovery/ healing. We don’t always have to talk during time with someone, maybe creating an agenda for a session together that includes 5-10 minutes to arrive and do some narrative writing would be a great way to start a session. Hmmmm

Nicolyn Brown
    Participant

1. What are your general reactions to the mindful writing? What were some of the personal resources, skills, and abilities you relied on to help you through a difficult experience in your life?

I haven’t done any sort of free writing or journaling since I was a child so it was certainly a different approach. In reviewing my narrative, it is clear that family (biological and chosen) has been a significant personal resource in meeting both my physical and emotional needs. When things seem overwhelming, one skill I utilize is to chart/list/plot a series of goals in small tangible, incremental steps and then address each goal one at a time.

2. What are some of the ways the questions and or the mindful writing helped you uncover your narrative of resilience?

Taking the time to write things out forced me to slow down my stream of thoughts in a way that allowed for more reflection.

3. How might you apply the Narrative questions and or mindful writing in your work with others to help them uncover a neglected story of resilience in their lives?

In my role, clients often focus on the deficits in others. Asking narrative questions and giving them time to reflect often leads to a discussion of strengths we wouldn’t have other wise had which can lead to tangible steps moving forward.

emilygarland
    Participant

I love to write although I have not kept up with it as a regular practice for many years. This exercise helped me to remember how much I enjoy it and how helpful it is for me to process thoughts/feelings and to begin to make sense of feelings that are not always easy to untangle. During challenging times, I feel that I rely on the awareness that I have previously been successful when hard situations arise- that each time I have been forced to confront a challenging time, that I have always managed to come through the experience despite the intensity of the feelings I may be experiencing in the moment. In addition to relying on trust and prior experience, I think that I also rely on my ability to be use reason to challenge thoughts that might be rooted in fear rather than rationality. I find that this helps me to rein in my thoughts when I begin to feel overwhelmed with worry.

I think my personal narrative of resilience is that I possess the capacity to survive challenging times- that I can and will withstand adversity and while I may not “feel” ok in the midst of it- I can still come through intact. I am able to trust myself to have faith in my internal resources to weather the proverbial storm. This makes me think about my past- and how growing up in a supportive and safe environment allowed me to develop this sense of trust in my own ability to manage through hard times. It provides a useful perspective when I consider working with others who were shaped by different experiences and influences that may not have offered them opportunities to hone these skills or to develop a sense of trust in their capacity for resilience.

Diana James
    Participant

Diana James.

This is music to my soul. I have been practicing Narrative, Person centered therapy for 25 years, and have always coached my clients to start Mindful writing…most of my clients have learned to embrace it and make it part of their daily routines.
    For myself, I have been “mindfully writing” since I was 13 y/o-as a way to connect and cherish the deeper parts of myself. Being a deep introvert, with very strict parents, and lots of family responsibilities-I would retreat to my writing late at night, to connect and communicate with my heart and soul. Music was always part of this journey of connection and discovery.I learned that I was deeply compassionate and had a great desire to understand and learn about “what makes people be who they are, or be the way they behave”—which led to trusting my own mind and heart.

I also read extensively about women writers in the Victorian era and early part of the 20th Century-these letters and writings were windows into the hearts, minds and souls of other women, who were often silenced by circumstance, culture or their families. I was able to identify with many writers, and learned how powerful writing/ journaling could be to help a person stay connected to what is vital inside, to nurture imagination and ideas, while one is growing into adulthood.

In my work with clients, following the teachings of Michael White, I endeavor to help clients recognize the “problem saturated Story”, and search for the buried, or silenced narrative of strength, courage, resilience, etc–to help ct’s unpack the old narrative, and look for the other-to re-story their lives.

Julia Foster
    Participant

I attempted this with the music, at first, I found it hard to write but as I continued it became easier and more flowed o the page. For my ability to navigate challenges I relied on family, community, personal strength. I am finding it hard to answer this without disclosing a lot of personal details but I did enjoy this exercise and will need to attempt this more often to gain more comfort with it.
    In this moment I found the question challenging because my mind was trying process something else with stronger emotions so I felt as though I was having to direct the writing more than intended. I was not able to get into a fully quiet space so will need to compete this again at a different time.
    I believe this activity can hold a lot of power for the individual completing it. As a practitioner I work to support individuals in discovering their own strengths and ability to evoke change, this activity allow for more exploration of internal processes and may bring awareness that other activities cannot.

Natalie Lonstein
    Participant

I actually really enjoyed this mindful writing. I typically I don’t enjoy writing and have never been a person who can start and stick with a journal. My professional life is pretty stressful at the moment and so this is what naturally came to the forefront for me to write about. I enjoyed being able to reflect on some challenges of the past and now being on the other side, have been experiencing some feelings of validation and strength, knowing that I stuck through something that was very challenging and difficult. I allowed myself to write my thoughts, unabridged, and take me down some different paths. I felt like this mindful writing is definitely a different experience than trying to articulate these thoughts out loud. Some of the resources, skills, and abilities I relied on were patience, persistence, and staying open-minded and willing to learn. I think there is an element of ‘surrender’ as well, or maybe more trust in the process, that things will turn out ok. I want to say that knowledge and information also helped, but truly it was time and experience, and being vulnerable and optimistic around these factors to let this unfold.

I think the framing of the question, specifically, “a time you got through”, poses a different ask then just, experienced a difficult time. The question encourages one to think about their journey through some difficult and how they came to be on the other side of something you may have felt was not possible in the beginning. These questions are also really strengths-based, and ask us to think about the factors and qualities we possess, and really name how they serve us. I also don’t normally think of myself as a patient person – in my personal life I am, maybe because I save all my patience for my work. But having patience to navigate a difficult situation is really challenging when the easy road may be to do the opposite, avoid, etc. I do value the importance of patience and was surprised that doing this writing pulled out my belief that having patience is important to me and served me through this tough time.

I think these strengths-based questions are ones I can infuse in my work, not only with clients but with staff navigating difficult situations or circumstances with their clients/families, peers, or personal lives if relevant. These questions take the perspective of assuming people have experienced difficulties, and they are here! They made it through! So how can we reflect on and harness what saw them through in the past, and reemploy those resources, skills, etc. now.

Carrie Baker
    Participant

1) I enjoyed doing the mindful writing. It was initially difficult to decide what to start with, but became easier once I got started. Some personal skills and abilities that I have relied on included being able to stay calm to think things through, trying to look at all sides of the situation, continuing to push through and take steps forward, recognizing that the situation is temporary.

2) The mindful writing helped me to uncover my narrative by noticing that I do not give up, and am willing to try different ideas and think out of the box to come up with solutions. I continue to push through situations, and if something isn’t working I will try a different path. The mindful writing allowed me to see some of these patterns and highlighted some of these themes in my thoughts.

3) In my work I can be supportive in assisting client’s to find their narratives, and give them a safe non-judgemental space to do that in. I can utilize the questions to assist them on reflecting on their stories, notice patterns, and identify their strengths.

katie Varney
    Participant

About two months ago, I started my own wellness journey. Every morning I start my day with my devotions. Then I began to write down in my journal whatever pops up in my mind. What I discovered about this skill is my own awareness of where my mind is in the moment. I enjoy going back and reading my daily thoughts. It brings to light my worries, anxieties but also my resilience and hope. I find by writing some of these thoughts, I am able to stop the toxic thinking and reverse it to something positive. I realized through this process, my mind tends to get filled up with doubts fears and anxieties that only way me down. By reversing these useless negative thoughts, I am able to find hope through my faith which in turns sets mu day on a much better path of peace joy and love.

2. What are some of the ways the questions and or the mindful writing helped you uncover your narrative of resilience? Mindful writing has helped me to stay focused in the moment. My nature is to say ” what if” and then role with the anxieties about what could happen ( and 99 % of the time, it doesn’t). Keeping myself focused in the moment is a much better place to be and I find my morning journaling helps to keep me in a mindful state.

3. How might you apply the Narrative questions and or mindful writing in your work with others to help them uncover a neglected story of resilience in their lives? Often times with my clients we brainstorm together on various ways to manage difficult and challenging situations. With my own experience with this type of skill, I am comfortable offering this as a suggestion, explaining how this has been helpful in my own journey to wellness.

Canswim
    Participant

I typically do not do a lot of writing personally, i do a lot for my job as a Home Health Coordinator. It is somewhat funny in a way because we explain to our clients the benefits of writing in general but we seem to be the last, most of the time, to input this into our daily lives.

I do feel writing can open up many different feeling we have closed off from self and others.

I think and feel it can be rewarding and very much an eye-opening for self and client to explore and read their writing.

Canswim
    Participant

I typically do not do a lot of writing personally, i do a lot for my job as a Home Health Coordinator. It is somewhat funny in a way because we explain to our clients the benefits of writing in general but we seem to be the last, most of the time, to input this into our daily lives.

I do feel writing can open up many different feeling we have closed off from self and others.

I think and feel it can be rewarding and very much an eye-opening for self and client to explore and read their writing.

emilygarland
    Participant

Hello- Sorry to write this here-just wondering if anyone else is having trouble moving to the second lesson? I am unable to successfully click on the mark complete tab and thus unable to move forward. I did email ccsme but thought I would ask the group. Thanks, Emily

Kate Stearns Luce
    Participant

I really enjoyed the mindful writing! It created a sense of peace and calm as well as a great reminder of my own resources, strengths, and abilities that I have relied on to get through challenges and adversity.

I think through the use of the questions I was able to focus less on the challenge and more on how I navigated my journey through the challenge and increased my ability to focus on the successes and problem solving skills I utilized. It felt much more like a solution focused approach and was very empowering to be able to uncover my own skills that I may have been dismissive of in the face of challenges. I read my writing aloud to myself, and did some highlighting of areas I may not have been as able to hone in on had I not done this exercise.

I am excited to try these Narrative questions and mindful writing in my work with others to help them see their own strengths, and help them see where and when they were their own experts in resilience, where and when they traveled through the darkness we sometimes feel when life is challenging towards their own brightness and light.

Kate Stearns Luce
    Participant

Entered in error

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.