Homework Week 3 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Home Forums Wellness and Recovery Promotion in Behavioral Health Services Homework Week 3 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kristen Erickson
    Keymaster
    Exercises 

Please Note: Do the exercise(s) before you answer the homework questions.

Fill out 1-3 domains of My Recovery/Wellness Plan. Identify a goal in each domain, prioritize it, describe a barrier to achieving your goal, a strength (refer back to your strengths assessment), an action step, and supporters/community resources that might help you achieve your wellness goal.

Homework Questions

Please Note: While answering the homework questions please only share personal information or specific responses to the homework exercises you feel comfortable sharing. It is up to you to decide how much or how little to disclose. Please respect the privacy and confidentiality of clients and others in your sharing.

1) What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying wellness goals and taking action to achieve them?

2) What did you discover about how your strengths, supporters, and or community resources might help you overcome barriers to taking an action step or reaching your goal?

3) What are some strategies you would employ to help consumers develop and implement their own wellness/recovery plans?

Post your answers by clicking the reply button. Make sure you keep a copy of your responses in a text file on your computer in case there is a problem submitting your comments. There is no way of retrieving the data once it is submitted. Thanks.

Click here to go back to course and complete the lesson: back to course

Amy Mihill
    Participant

1) I appreciate the straight forward way the Recovery Wellness plan is set up to help someone easily consider different life areas, identify their most important goals, look at barriers and strengths, and to identify action steps and supports/community resources. I know that I oftentimes make personal goals, but don’t take the time to identify the different topic areas and then wonder why I am not able to reach my goal. If I don’t consider the different topics within setting a goal like barriers, strength and action steps, my goals become more like wishful thinking. I also like that someone is invited to consider community resources. It makes sense. If a person was able to address a goal on their own, they probably would have. I think that the fellowship of 12 steps programs is wonderful. Rather than a person relying on their own understanding to address a goal area, they have the support of the group that can offer approaches, suggestions and understanding from people who share similar problems and have “found their way out.”

2) I am smoking and from today’s homework, I thought about the physical cravings of tobacco. The next time I quit, I will use nicotine replacements patches to help minimize the physical cravings, as the physical cravings are a barrier to my stopping smoking.

3) I think that helping to break goal areas into smaller and more manageable steps would be key. Changing different life areas can be overwhelming so if the client can complete an action step it would enhance their self esteem and also show forward progress. I think that too often people (myself) have an all or nothing attitude toward changing a behavior which is unrealistic.

jvillan1978
    Participant

1. I like that with the priority rating there’s an ability to identify which goals are the most important to address at this point in time and I think also with giving it a rating it allows me to think deeper into how much effort is warranted to develop meaningful action steps to achieve a certain goal.
    2. I discovered that I have more strengths that I can tap into when identifying these particular steps. I also tend to not ask for help and this was an opportunity o really look at the amount of people I have in my life to lean on, even when it makes me uncomfortable, to share the journey with me. When it comes to barriers I can often present as the biggest one in achieving my goals.
    3. In terms of helping clients to identify their own recovery plans I think it’s super important to help them to see their strengths and the strengths of the support system around them. Because of the clientele I work with (people with long term, chronic SUD) their sense of self is often eroded and they have a diminished support network so they feel limited in their resources and tend to “go it alone”. I would want to explore with them the strengths they can identify as well as share with them what I see in their resilience. They tend to underestimate how strong they are as people despite living through some horrific life experiences.

Stacy Ladakakos
    Participant

1) What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying wellness goals and taking action to achieve them?
    It puts in perspective the benefit of writing down goals as well as why there may be an inclination to avoid the act of writing them down. It highlights how as an individual I have goals in my life that would be obtainable with limited barrier but continually get put on the back burner.
    2) What did you discover about how your strengths, supporters, and or community resources might help you overcome barriers to taking an action step or reaching your goal?
    Recognizing the array of supports available does not always Result in action. Readiness for change and maintaining self-awareness and self-care is often easier said than done in some instances. Utilizing community resources can be a barrier or a tool depending on the individuals comfort with utilizing available resources.

3) What are some strategies you would employ to help consumers develop and implement their own wellness/recovery plans?
    Recognition that we each have wellness/recovery plans that can take a back burner for an array of reasons. Rarely do any of us respond well to be “told or strongly encouraged” to complete tasks by shame or guilt. The importance of being compassionate to real or perceived barriers and relaying this in how we engage in the process.

tld1964
    Participant

1) I think rating is a good idea to help prioritize
    3) I think it is important to focus on strengths as well the importance of self care because so many of our clients put everyone and everything ahead of themselves and they often don’t realize the importance of putting recovery first at all times

Robert Hussey
    Participant

1) The recovery/wellness plan really forces one to evaluate one’s goals in a very mindful manner. It requires thinking about strengths and barriers and coming up with action steps to help progress with the goal. It is helpful noting any potential supports and resources to assist in making the goal more realistic, attenable, and manageable.

2) I need to be better at making concrete action steps in order to progress with goals. I downplay potential strengths and overstress potential barriers. If I could focus on creating manageable action steps, it would appear that I am chipping away at barriers and steadily reaching my goals. Being too open-ended with potential action steps timelines stagnates the process. Not moving forward makes it seem that I have stopped trying or caring.

3) Some strategies would include making concrete action steps regardless of how small they may seem. Each success will make way for more success. Make note of strengths and barriers and form a plan to utilize strengths and resources and to find ways to chip away at the barriers in order to overcome them. All of these domains contribute to one’s overall wellness and happiness, which in turn, stresses the perception of the importance of self-care.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.