Week 3 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Home Forums Applications of MI Course Forums Week 3 Homework Assignment (Applications of MI)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Carol Acedo
    Participant

Question 1:
    I feel the MI helped this client with the councilor used open ended questions, reflective listening. The Client and Clinician were able to joke and laugh regarding the topic of the session. The commitment to change as his goal was stated and the information that the counselor used to redirect back to the client to help him make a SMART goal to help him attain his sobriety. There is either drinking or not drinking. He has his many different natural supports in his community and his home that can help support him in the need for change. The idea that the client had stated that his goal was not to drink proves that he is ready to make this change. Going back to church, following through with AA meetings are ways that he can use the supports already in place around him to help.
    2. I feel that I would have used the same method to help my clients with change and planning. I feel that I might use a few more questions to completely understand the need for change, the barriers that could be there for the client as well as how the start up plan would affect those around them. This would be important to know if the client had natural supports or none at all.
    3. I liked the empowering part, some of my clients have a hard time to make a decision and stick to it for more than 5 minutes, when its time to put the plan into action, they forget or do not feel the need to act. Focusing is harder with the ever changing mind set of my clients and this can help me stay on tract and keep the client on track for change.

Robert Hussey
    Participant

Question 1
    What are your general reactions to these two video role plays of a counselor using MI strategies to help a client develop a change plan to stop drinking? Overall, how effective is the counselor’s use of MI in evoking Commitment, Activation, and Taking Steps change talk? How effective is the counselor’s use of MI to help the client develop a specific change plan? Be specific.
    The client made the determination to stop drinking but needed assistance with strategies and resources. The counselor used open-ended questions, reflections to keep client engaged without becoming overbearing and confrontational. The conversation was receptive. Client admitted he might need some help since he could list strategies that could help but did not know how to implement. Client asked for info. Client was formulating a plan and realized that he needs more supports to help him reach and maintain his goal of not drinking alcohol. Possible supports including counseling, family, church, and AA meetings.

Question 2
    What, if anything, would you have done differently if you were the counselor in this role play? Would you have used different MI strategies for change planning? Which ones? Why? Be specific. If you would have used the same MI strategies, how would you improve on what the counselor in the video did? Why? Be specific?
    I would have allowed client to expand upon and own his solutions. Keep asking open-ended questions to keep the client talking and engaged. I would have provided info if client asked for the information first. Having the client form a plan and repeat the plan makes the plan seem more concrete and attenable. Creating action steps and clarifying with client: How will you know the step is completed?

Question 3
    How do you or would you envision using some of the MI strategies for change planning discussed in this lesson in your own work with consumers/clients/patients?

I need to remember to get the client to talk about goals and plans without input from me unless client asks for information or feedback. The client will feel more empowered if the plan is seen as formulated and implemented by the client. The client might need the counselor as a sounding board just to talk out the goal and plan to get there. I need to work on timing the reflections. I need to remember to ask more questions such as: What will this look like? How do you know? What will this be tomorrow? What will this look like a week from today? Basically, getting the client to create checklists of accomplishments and supports.

Jennifer McCaslin
    Participant

Question 1:

What are your general reactions to these two video role plays of a counselor using MI strategies to help a client develop a change plan to stop drinking? Overall, how effective is the counselor’s use of MI in evoking Commitment, Activation, and Taking Steps change talk? How effective is the counselor’s use of MI to help the client develop a specific change plan? Be specific.

The videos were interesting and had great dialogue by both parties. The client and counselor seemed to have a good rapport and the conversation had a natural flow. The counselor utilized open ending questions and reflective listening. This allowed the client to process his issues with alcohol and see the need to change. The client then made a commitment to change and discussed the action steps needed to implement change.

Question 2:

What, if anything, would you have done differently if you were the counselor in this role play? Would you have used different MI strategies for change planning? Which ones? Why? Be specific. If you would have used the same MI strategies, how would you improve on what the counselor in the video did? Why? Be specific?

I found the counselor’s approach effective and on point to have the client engaged with change planning. I might have discussed more in depth how to reduce the risk or opportunity to drink. And how the client might handle a situation like that. Also discussing a support system and the various resources available to the client.

Question 3:

How do you or would you envision using some of the MI strategies for change planning discussed in this lesson in your own work with consumers/clients/patients?

With my clients I would utilize simple reflection and open-ending questions. I would discuss the actions steps to change but break them down as simple as possible. I use the term “baby steps” often. This is to not overwhelm my clients and have objectives/action steps that are obtainable. I would process with the client the different support/options/resources available to assist them with their change planning. This might motivate them with their commitment knowing they have support.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.