In this course, Dr. Goldsmith will explore how stigma undermines evidence-based practice to address opioid use disorder, treatment and recovery. It will examine the factors that contribute to the opioid epidemic as well as what can be done to help communities move forward more effectively.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to explain:
- How stigma undermines evidence based practice
- The ways the brain changes due to heavy substance use
- How the chronic care model can help clinicians manage chronic illness, including substance use disorders.
How it Works
After watching the video presentations by R. Jeffrey Goldsmith, MD, you will be required to take a short quiz. Upon receiving a grade of 80% or higher, you will be directed to a course evaluation. Once you have completed the evaluation, you will be able to download a .pdf certificate to get your course credit.
- Two 35-minute Video Presentations
- Exit quiz requiring a score of at least 80% to earn contact hours
- Evaluation of the training
About the Presenter
R. Jeffrey Goldsmith, MD, DLFAPA, DFASAM is the lead physician consultant for Maine for the Opioid Response Network (STR- TA), a SAMHSA grant awarded to the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) with a coalition of 27 national professional organizations to provide technical assistance. Dr. Goldsmith is a past President of American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Preventive Medicine and Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He harkens from Cincinnati where he completed research in addictions and provided clinical services.
Certificates will be issued upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given.
- 1 contact hour pending for nurses.
CCSME Provider Unit is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Northeast Multi-State Division (NE-MSD), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Accreditation status does not imply endorsement by ANCC, NE-MSD or CCSME Provider Unit.
- 1 Category I contact hour for Psychologists are provided.
CCSME is a pre-approved sponsor and provider of Professional Education Activities for Psychologists.
- 1 contact hour for CHES.
CCSME is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Certificate of completion for 1 contact hour for Social Workers, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors, and other Professionals.
- This course may be used for 1 contact hour for MHRT-C Domain 4 or 6