Reply To: Homework Week 2 (Wellness and Recovery Promotion)

Carrie Baker
Participant

What are your general reactions to this exercise of identifying strengths and reflecting on how a strength can help you achieve a recovery or wellness goal?
I thought this exercise was a good way to reflect more in depth on identifying personal strengths and supports. It was a good reminder of who/what my personal supports are, and why they are important to me and my wellness.

What did you discover about your own strengths that might have been previously hidden from view?
My own strengths that were identified included loyalty to friends and family, being authentic, trying to be non-judgmental and having forgiveness and/or trying to look at situations from others perspectives. These are strengths that I do not think about often, by but by thinking about the questions that the assessment asked, it made me think about why I have the supports that I do, and how they have become an important part of my life and wellness. Most of the people I identified as being supports for me, also tend to have a lot of similar values that I have as well.

How would you or have you used a strengths assessment to help consumers identify their strengths and uncover their hopes and dreams?
I have used it in finding out more about their interests to incorporate that in how we approach things in session. I have also used it as a tool to “break the ice” and give them and/or their families a chance to reflect on some of the positive things happening. I like the other assessments given here, and the examples of how to expand on strengths based questions, and cover different areas that I have not thought about before.